Saturday, June 15, 2013

Sukeban Deka, chapter 1 part 1





Let's begin, shall we? with the crack team of a1oner, myself and Other Side of Sky, we bring to you the first chapter of Sukeban Deka! I should note right now that we're using this image because the covers of the volumes we have are these god awful watercolors.

Anyways, Wada Shinji is a mangaka who's been sadly unloved by the west, and we're glad to be bringing his most famous work to you! This is the story of Saki Asamiya, a 'Sukeban' (girl delinquent leader) who's been incarcerated in a hellish youth facility. Granted, I'm not sure why the state thinks it necessary to spend tax dollars on this, but I digress.

Saki receives an official notice from the government to save her mother's life: work for them as a detective and uncover the truth of a mysterious heist. To do so, she enrolls as a student, with her trusty battle yoyo at hand. Yes, you read that right.

Here's part 1 of Sukeban Deka!
Thanks be to Other Side as ever, and a1oner who was a freaking artist in his work on this chapter. Sabu will be up as soon as Kazu returns, estimated to be this week, but status on other projects?

The Tree In the Sunlight's first volume is fully translated. We just need Kazu to come back and typeset it

Space Adventure Cobra volume 3, ditto

Kitaro, ditto.

Babel, ditto.

Robot Keiji, we're waiting on more translations and then Kazu. Grendizer has a chapter ready, and we just need Dynamic Pro to typeset it. Other Side has also completed translation on volume 1 of Shin Mazinger Zero, so that one's down to Dynamic Pro as well.

Shutendoji I'm waiting on translation check from Systematic Chaos and then I'll be on it ASAP

So in the meanwhile, if anyone wants to help, we'd love aid with cleaning and typesetting right now! Enjoy Sukeban Deka, guys!

21 comments:

  1. WHAT'RE YOU TALKIN'BOUT!? Those bunkouban covers are pretty incredible! If only I could paint like that, I probably wouldn't be typesetting manga right now... :\

    Nevertheless, enjoy this release, you guys. We know you've been waiting for this for a long time! And don't forget to thank OtherSideofSky for his (near) perfect tl. W/o him, all this wouldn't even be possible. He's awesome just like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do not contradict me! We have decided those covers are horrible! Other Side agrees with me!

      Delete
    2. So you're double teaming me, eh! FINE! IMMA GO ON AN INDEFINITE STRIKE TIL YOU RETRACT YOUR ANTI/NON-ARTISTIC COMMENTS/STANCE!

      And to OtherSide, if you're reading this, I'm giving you a chance to change your opinion before I reassess and completely change my own opinion of you, in regards to your awesomeness!

      Delete
    3. We both know every hour you strike is an hour spent not doing amazing manga. I call your bluff.

      Delete
    4. I'm still commenting(talking) here, aren't I... that could only mean that I'm not doing any tsing work in particular.

      Tsk tsk tsk... the Grizzlies may have been swept by the effin Spurs, but "we(--I certainly) don't bluff!!"

      Better take that back-- NAO!!!

      Delete
    5. Blast it, you're right. I repent! Please continue!

      Delete
  2. Hey guys, is there any chance of scanlating Go Nagai's Oira Sukeban manga sometime this year or the near future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to say no, but it's not planned for the near future

      Delete
  3. i wonder how was presented this manga... maybe something like: "well you see this is the awesome story of a girl delinquent a sukeban if we should call her that, and it just happens she is also a detective... a kid detective, so even if she is already working since she is a kid of course she will do her thing in the safe but unsafe, dangerous and full of mystery hallways of school!" of course nothing new here no one is surprised... "a... and her weapon of choice! her... her weapon... is... her weapon is... think goddammit... HER WEAPON IS A TRUSTY AND DEADLY YOYO!" "OMG this is the best thing since Astroboy!" replies the publisher.

    and that is how we got this manga...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. I saw Pygmalio's anime when I was a kid and I recently read what is translated of the manga. I'm happy to read anything Wada Shinji related.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I aklways heard of this manga, but never got to see it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome. I'd been hoping to see this translated for a long time now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No news for Kamen Rider Black? I tried to ask MCS, but got no answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting for the TL of volume 4 now. I should have it before July's end.

      Delete
  8. This is my NUMBER 1 of what I wanted to see scanlated! Needless to say, thank you, I am very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i just came into realization it's the same mangaka who did "Alisha of the white hair". first of all, i was like, his drawings is cool somehow it's familiar. i checked the author's name and turned out it's the same guy. Alisha is my favorite manga. i do read Pygmalio a long time ago but don't really dig it since i'm not that into the fantasy genre.

    this manga's first chapter is kinda cool as well. very promising. can't wait. thanks guys! keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just found out he passed away 2 years ago at age 60. rest in peace. sir.

      Delete
  10. I've always wanted to read this.

    (also you should probably update your "current projects" page and such)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks guys. I'm so happy to see this manga scanlated. You just made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey guys will you eventually get the whole series translated? I can't wait another minute! I love your work! :)

    ReplyDelete